It’s been nearly 18 months since I started this blog. I did it to share my journey in computer vision with you. I love this field and I’m always stumbling across such fascinating things that I feel as though more people should know about them.
I’ve seen this blog grow in popularity – much, much more than I had anticipated when I first started it. In this little “bonus” post, I thought I’d list my top posts thus far with additional comments about them.
I also thought I’d compile a second list with my personal favourite posts. These have not been as popular but I sure as hell had fun writing them!
Enjoy! And thanks for the support over the last 18 months.
My top 5 posts thus far:
- Why Deep Learning Has Not Superseded Traditional Computer Vision – I wrote this post on a Friday evening directly after work with a beer bottle in one hand and people playing pool or foosball around me. I wrote it up in an hour or so and didn’t think much of it, to be honest. The next day I woke up and saw, to my extreme surprise, that it had gone slightly viral! It was featured in Deep Learning Weekly (Issue #76), was being reposted by people such as Dr Adrian Rosebrock from PyImageSearch, and was getting about 1000 hits/day. Not bad, hey!?
- The Top Image Datasets and Their Challenges
- Finding a Good Thesis Topic in Computer Vision – I wrote this post after constantly seeing people asking this question on forums. Considering it’s consistently in my top 3 posts every week, I guess people are still searching for inspiration.
- Mapping Camera Coordinates to a 2D Floor Plan – This post came about after I had to work on security footage from a bank for a project at work. The boss was very pleased with what I had done and writing about my experiences in a post was a no-brainer after that.
- The Early History of Computer Vision – History is something that really interests me so it was only a matter of time before I was going to read up on the history of computer vision. Once I did and saw how fascinating it was, I just had to write a post about it.
My favourite posts thus far. Like I said, these are not popular (some barely get a single hit in a week) but I really enjoyed researching for and writing them:
- Soccer on Your Tabletop – The coolest thing going around in computer vision.
- Amazon Go – Computer Vision at the Forefront of Innovation – This to me is something amazing.
- The Baidu and ImageNet Controversy – Nothing like a good controversy!
- Computer Vision on Mars – Computer vision in space. Imagine working on that project!
- The Growth of Computer Vision in the Industry / The Reasons Behind the Recent Growth of Computer Vision – I’m proud of how far computer vision has come over the years. It’s been a pleasure to be a part of the adventure.
Enjoy looking back over my posts. Thanks once again for your support over the last 18 months.
To be informed when new content like this is posted, subscribe to the mailing list: